Saturday, January 24, 2009

one b

I didn't like my "one" post.
So I came up with "one b"!

Having scanned through the topics in the textbook, I felt that this was a preparatory course before we take on the world. Developing effective communication skills—It is important to me because I want to be able to better portray to the world who I want them to see me as. On top of that, I definitely don’t want to be misunderstood. In the professional world, communication skills are switched to “FORMAL” mode. One word misused in your e-mail may cause a misperception, while the whole letter allows someone to pass a judgment on what kind of a person he/she is dealing with, however distorted it may be. Exercise caution and never throw it into the wind.

4 comments:

  1. Good addition. You know that you can edit an individual post though, right? This info could have been edited into your first post on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yup, but I felt this was a different style so I didn't want to mix them up. Anyways, happy chinese new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Roy, like this post a lot cause it is short and sweet. I agree with you fully that communication does indeed determine how people see and portray you as. Many times I have judged a person on their actions(non-verbal) and the way they talk (verbal). I may not know them but it is these form of communications that help me generate my first impression on them. Just take an example on our public transports, if I see a teenager playing loud music without regard to anyone around him I will assume that he is a deliquent and try to get away from him as fast as possible.

    This is also the case in the professional "working" world. More often than not, the resumes or letters you write determines whether you are sincere or suitable for a job. People generate their first impressions from the word documents you sent them and this first impression determines whether you make it or break it. That is why my father always tell me,that writing a proper resume or letter determines your future in the "working" world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Keldren,

    Yup. My first impression on people is based on their verbals and non-verbals too.

    I think the resume is very important too. I view it as a battle half won, if the guy picks my resume and asks me for an interview.

    Thanks for your views!

    ReplyDelete