Friday, January 23, 2009

one

Developing effective communication skills can aid me in achieving my goals.

In the very short term, I hope to hone my report writing skills. Final Year Project is just around the corner - I really need to pull up my socks where writing is concerned.

Resume writing, job application letters, interview preparation and performance: these sound just right for landing me in that dream job right after graduation!

Beyond that, speaking fluently in public and in meetings, building interpersonal communication and fostering intercultural communication are going to enhance my position at work, increasing my referent power, maybe even clinching that promotion or year end bonus.

I have always been fearful of becoming a salesman and having to go to great lengths to please my potential customers either to buy my product or to sign up for some good deals. I hope to overcome this fear so that I will have no difficulties in gaining help/sponsors, should I decide to become self-employed, come up with my own innovative idea or a good product blueprint. This will ensure my versatility in today's economy.

Goal setting has always been the first step to becoming successful. It is in the second step where developing effective communication skills come in handy:

Getting there.

3 comments:

  1. This is a good post, Roy, as you accurately point out some areas that we will study. of course, everyone in the job search should have some idea of "resume writing, job application letters, interview preparation and performance." But what will make your application stand out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! You have pointed out the importance of effective communication skills in helping you to achieve your goals.(particularly in the working aspect) I feel that it is good that your points are clear and you are able to relate them to yourself. It is a nice idea to use the example of you fearing to become a salesman to further elaborate your points. Hope you can overcome your fears and difficulties too!!! haha:)

    Perhaps,you can also consider the benefits of good communication skills in other aspects, such as maintaining relationship?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Qiying, yup, I was aware of the benefits of effective communication and why it is important to me in the relationships that I have (families, friends, BGR, etc.) but I was trying to stick to 250 words and I didn't want to simply mention it so I didn't add it in.

    Thanks for pointing it out!

    Hmm. In general, in my relationships with other people, I find active listening a real skill to master and it brings in many other factors such as
    my patience and tolerance level when listening to long stories and criticism
    situational appropriateness (?)-finding the right words to say at the right time, being encouraging and doing things to minimize awkwardness according to situations
    the list goes on.
    Effective communication here, I feel, is amazing in the sense that at the end of the day, in giving or receiving, everybody walks away satisfied. Even if communication isn't done effectively, I find that at the very least, through reflection a lesson can be learnt either about ourselves or others.

    That was just.. some thought on effective communication in the personal aspect.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete